Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Semana Santa in Malaga

Malaga is a beach town in Spain, off the Mediterranean, close to Gibraltar and supposed to be our two days of suntanning on the beach. The first half day we were there it definitely was sunny and bikini worthy ( although I was still recovering from Granada so I spent most of it sleeping in bed).

The next day though? Total overcast grey day. Chris was determined to go to the beach so melissa and I separated from them and explored the city. We wandered around and climbed up a giant hill to the castle to get a great view of the harbor and downtown.

We didn't realize it, but it was Semana Santa (holy week) in Spain and they had all these catholic processions going on every day all week. It was pretty intense. Especially when you saw what their outfits were when you weren't expecting it...



So what came to mind when you saw that?? Growing up in North America and focusing on American History in undergrad made me think of one thing.... The KKK. And seeing hundreds around town, marching, carrying crosses/incense/giant statues of Jesus, Mary and a whole slew of other biblical things was a little intense!! Being the only "heathen" in the group of Catholics I was traveling with, it was even more over the top in my mind. But at least it was something different and that's what traveling is all about: experiencing other cultures firsthand. No matter how zealous they may seem to you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment