Friday marked my day trip bus tour to Giants Causeway and Game of Throne filming locations. GOT has brought a huge amount of money into Northern Ireland with 80% of the filming taking place in Northern Ireland, either on location or (mostly) in the Belfast studios. Time to get my #tripofthenerds on! If you haven't see GOT up to Season 6, there will be spoilers ahead so you are warned now!
Our first stop was seeing these small steps leading into the ocean that were literally in the show for a minute or so. I was starting to doubt the legitimacy of these "fantastic filming locations" I was about to witness. The scene was when Arya is stabbed by the Waif and she falls into the water. When she comes up and scrambles onto the steps: bam! That's what I saw. Hahah.
Next, we continued on to the Cushendun Caves where Davos rows Melisandre into the caves to birth the shadow assassin. Now this was beginning to get more impressive. Our tour guide attempted to get some people to recreate the scene, but alas we had no volunteers (and I have a rip in my jeans so there's no way I'm sitting on the ground legs open!).
| RIP Renly |
| They're kinda just rocks... |
Next GOT stop: Ballintoy Harbour where they film the Iron Islands (specifically the port when Theon arrives and the baptismal scenes). There's also a beach where Melisandre burns non-believers and where Gendry is set free on his little boat adventure. Also, Sheep island in the background is often used as establishing shots to depict the iron islands from the shore.
| Pyke Harbour |
We came to Carrick-a-Rede Rope bridge next. It was a very pretty walk there. The Oceanside landscape kind of reminds me of Newfoundland. There was a huge queue to cross the rope bridge and after my tour guide talking it up so much, it was not scary at all..cool, but not terrifying or anything. There was also a quarry area where Brianne and Loras have their duel for Renly, but I missed it (I had tea and cake instead haha).
![]() |
| Rope Bridge! |
Our last stop was the Dark Hedges. These iconic 150 beech trees were used for the scene of the Kings Road out of Kings Landing when Arya is escaping as a boy.
Planted in 1775, they form a natural arch across the road.
![]() |
| The Dark Hedges |
They had costumes if you wanted and why not! Embrace the fandom! Even if plaid may not be traditional Stark garb.
| Embracing my #tripofthenerds |
When I finally returned from the tour, I was exhausted. A cheap curry from Tesco and I decided I wanted to experience a traditional bar in Belfast. I headed to Kelly's Cellar and watched some fantastic guitar players. I was befriended by a local Irish teacher Librarian named Sean, but after two beers and him constantly telling me horror stories of solo female travellers, I decided to play it safe and walk home early(ish).
![]() |
| Kelly's Cellar for some local lager and music |
The next day was a trip to Derry and hopefully finding friends to have a proper night out with. SPOILERS: I did. ;)



love the sword & cape - Mom
ReplyDelete