Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Snapshots of Teaching (6 days in):

- Kids here are so much louder than Canadian ones. They talk ALL the time. I feel like putting up your hand to answer a question is a novelty here and they kinda look at me like I have three heads when I ask them to do so.

- Little kids in peacoats = ADORABLE.

- The teachers shout a lot at the kids. We were taught a more patient, reward positive behvaiour type management strategy in teacher's college as opposed to just screaming at the children. But at a few schools, the TAs / other teacher's did just that. Plus, having other teachers yell at your kids for you totally undermines your authority as a teacher -- very frustrating! I went to a Behaviour Management Professional Development course put on by Protocol tonight and it was SO RELIEVING to know that it's not just me and the students / other teachers treat other supply teachers just as poorly!!!!

- They say "bin" instead of "garbage" and have no clue what I'm talking about if I accidentally say garbage. Same with "queue" and "line up" or "hot lunch" and "school dinners".

- I've had about 8 different kids tell me that my necklace (my whale's tail / BFF Emma necklace I wear 24/7) is beautiful.

- I hate reception (kindergarten), but adored Nursery (pre-school). Favourite grade so far has been Grade Year 5

- When I was getting ready to leave to take the bus home, a student saw me put on my running shoes trainers and after I told him that I was wearing them because I was taking the bus home, he said "You take the bus home to Canada?"

- I have zero experience teaching phonics and it is hilarious to see the students sound out words using phonics and hand signals. "The cat goes ck-ck-ck-at"

Places that students think I am from (because of my accent):
- America
- New Zealand
- Jamaica.

ya, mon!

1 comment: