So I have maintained that Newschwanstien castle in Füssen, Germany, is the prettiest place I've visited... but that may now have changed. The Amalfi Coast in Italy is GORGEOUS. We stayed in Maiori, which was a small adorable town right on the mountains and right off the Medetrainian Sea (which I continually called the Ocean... whatever, I'm not a geography major!).
We took the train in from Florence and then a bus along the Amalfi Coast to our small little town. Maiori was gorgeous. I've never been to Cuba or anywhere, but I think this area kicks that beaches ass. I mean, it wasnt white sandy beaches or anything, but it was just so... peaceful. Maybe it was because it was such a drastic change from the hell that was Naples. But either way, imagine being in a little coach bus, winding up and down the mountains, dangerously close to the edge of a cliff that tumbles into the blue/green Mediterrain sea. Imagine houses and hostels carved up the mountain side where people hang their clothes out to dry outside and dogs wander everywhere with not a care in the world. That was Maoiri. It was a good thing we went in the off-season because I can imagine it being insanly touristy in the summer. As it was it was great.
Our hostel was actually a B and B. It was so cute. Wonderful, pretty rooms with a GREAT breakfast included and OUR OWN Bathrooms. :) However, it was 150 steps to get there! And we're all lugging huge backpacks! Needless to say, i have KILLER legs now. lol.
We basically wandered the town for the first day, had a late lunch on the boardwalk and then retired to our B and B. For some reason I have a thing with roofs and decided to climb up on ours (well, I was actually in search of my laundry which was apparently drying on the roof and I had no idea where that was). What a great view! Later in the evening, Monica Chris and I went up there with a few Peronis (Italian beer) and enjoyed the lights of Maiori.
The next day the girls went to another town about 40 minutes away but I elected to stay and explore Maoiri more. I wanted a chilled out day with no more running around. I hung out with Monica and Chris (it wasnt tooo third wheelish) all day. We had a picnic lunch, shopped in a market, walked on the beach with our feet in the sea, and had chocolatta (which was basically like hot chocolate soup). Unfortuently, due to our shitty flight time, LIsa and I had to leave Maoiri that evening to catch a train and bus back to Naples in order to fly out at 8 am to Budapest.
However, I would LOVE to come back to the Amalfi Coast and explore it more. I have also decided that I want to have my honeymoon in Greece because I imagine it to be very similar. So dear Future Husband, just a heads up. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment