Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Where are the mighty ducks when you need em??

I never thought I would be affected by a volcano in my lifetime, but....

f-ing Iceland.

Guess who was stuck in Bratislava for an extra two days?! And Bratislava is a lovely town... but not a three day worthy town. We did most of it in the afternoon of the first day.

We had a motto of "What Happens in Bratislava, Stays in Bratislava", so I won't go into much detail. Needless-to-say, our time there involved: men in manholes, attempts at authentic cooking, 1 euro beers, giant straws, and dinosaurs.

Yes, dinosaurs.

Did you not know that they are still around in Bratislava? In DinoPark? An addition of the Bratislavia Zoo? Oh yes.

We met up with another traveler who was stuck in Bratislava and trying to head to London. His name was Mark and he is studying overseas for a semester (he's 21 and from Denver or somewhere). He was nice, but rather quiet and we hung out with him for like two days, plus the 22hr bus ride.

Bus ride??? you say. Oh yes. 22 hours?? you say. Hells yes. We drove through 5 countries and now I can say that I have driven across Europe. The only reason we knew which country we were in was because my phone would send me a text message welcoming to "vodafone France" or "vodafone czech" whenever we crossed borders. When we bought our tix, the ticket lady did not speak any english so when we finally able to get a ticket to London (she was very frustrated with our lack of Slovak speaking skills), we weren't able to ask her HOW it got to London. All we knew was that we had to be at the station at 9 am and that it cost 80 euros.

They kept showing movies, but not in english or with english subtitles. I watched one. This movie where two divers get left behind in the ocean during a resort scuba diving thing and then they get eaten by sharks (spoiler alert). It was interesting because I had to rely totally on the visuals.

There was this guy behind us... Yeesh with a capital Y. He was drunk. and fell asleep leaning forward so his hands kept hitting us on the head. And then, about an hour after one of our pit stops, he threw up. In a bag allegedly, but also it leaked on the floor. We were able to pick up all our stuff without getting it on it, but still. GROSS. I couldnt' really smell it, but Lisa could. And the next pit stop wasn't for FOUR HOURS. So when we stopped, she mimed to the driver (who also spoke very little english) and it was cleaned up. No more throwing up from the man for the rest of the trip at least....

We finally got into the Port of Dover at like 8 am on Sunday. What a way to end the trip. Definitly a story I will always remember.

F-ing Iceland.

No comments:

Post a Comment