Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Lakes are lovely (said in a british accent)

I had a wonderful weekend up north.

My night in Manchester was a blast. Met up with Dave (one of the british exchange students that lived with us in Bates in first year), had some pizza, played some drinking games, and headed off to a club to celebrate his roommates birthday. Craig met up with us too which is always a pleasure. :)

On Saturday, we (did I mention Michelle - a friend from Toronto - is visiting?) along with Dave and his gf, drove up to Dave´s childhood home in the Lakes District. He lives in Ambleside... and the town is as cute as its name implies. A small village in England´s national park. Surrounded by mountains and near the biggest lake in the lake district, it was out of a postcard of English countryside quaintness. Not to mention Dave´s family owns a toystore and THEY LIVE ABOVE IT. I have always had a dream of living above a store and this was pretty much my dream house, lol. We went for hikes and had picnics, wandered around the town (there are sheep EVERYWHERE), and enjoyed the local pubs and nightlife (although we had to travel to the next town for that). Then on Monday... we went on an alpine high ropes course in the forest. called ¨Go APE¨.. Basically, we got strapped to carabeeners and wires, climbed huge ladders and did all these cool apline tree things...like wobbly bridges, swings, jumping off the edge and flinging yourself onto a net... and ZIP LINES. I have always wanted to go on one and I went on FOUR. SO MUCH FUN. I had a blast there! Totally reccomend it to EVERYONE. There are about 18 different branches across England, so if you come visit, you should go here! ... unless you are afraid of heights. (monica)

No comments:

Post a Comment