It's funny that this blog started as a way to keep my family and friends updated on my life while living and teaching abroad in London, way back in 2010. Now this cyclical traveller is back in SE23, South East London. :) I love this city. This part of my travels will be 60% nostalgia satiation and 40% new things.
To kick off the nostalgia, I'm staying with my friends Martin and Louisa, whom I met through my old flatmate Allen. I visited them in 2017 for their wedding, and they've since had a new addition to the family, a little girl named Ruby. They still live in Lewisham, but in a different neighborhood near Dulwich. Martin kindly picked me up from Heathrow at night, and we started the next day with breakfast at The Teapot café. We had a wander through Peckham Rye Park trying to find a three-year-old's birthday party that Ruby was invited to. We were unsuccessful in our search for said party and had a pint from the park cafe instead.
![]() |
| My hosts for the weekend |
The Southwark Walk
One of my favourite areas of London to recommend to tourists is Southwark. Move over Trafalger Square or Buckingham Palace - this is my favourite spot in London to tour. I love strolling along the Thames, and the Wrigley family joined me for this favorite walk.
![]() |
| Tourist Susan |
We started at Southwark station, taking in views of St. Paul's and the Millennium Bridge (which I always refer to as the bridge that the Death Eaters destroyed in Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince movie). I separated from the group for a quick tour of the Tate Modern, my favorite free art gallery.
![]() |
| Some Tate pieces I enjoyed |
After taking in so many wonderful pieces of art and continuing on our wander (passing by the Globe theatre, Winchester Palace, the Golden Hinde, and Borough Market -- which was WAY too insane on a Saturday to stay long at) -- we had a quick refueling stop at Leon's (a new-to-me fast food chain where I had an absolutely smashing Halloumi wrap). Louisa and Ruby left, and Martin and I met up with Allen, reuniting with my former roommate and his daughter (the last time I "saw" her, she was in his wife's belly when Sarah was pregnant!)
We continued our stroll, finding a touristy spot selling Pimm's near Tower Bridge. We enjoyed this classic British cocktail (on my bucket list of things to eat/drink while I was here) which is a cocktail containing Pimm's gin-based liquor, lemonade (sprite), mint, cucumbers and strawberries. It's fantastic and I have not had a proper Pimm's cup recreated ever in Toronto.
![]() |
| It's Pimm's O'Clock |
We then walked past the touristy area to the Angel Pub for another pint. The pub had a no-cell-phone policy, but it had a great view of the Thames and a classic British pub atmosphere (but you'll just have to take my word for it since I couldn't take any photos inside - lest some grumpy old British bartender scold me). We ended the evening with some amazing take-away pizza and my (surprisingly) inaugural viewing of Point Break at Martin and Louisa's house.
The V & A, Swiftie Madness & Sunday Roast










No comments:
Post a Comment