Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Captain Trips?!

So some things I was expecting to experience in London... accents, weird food, wet weather... NOT a stint in the hospital!

I've been in Lewisham Hospital for two days and one night so far (just beginning night number 2). I was diagnosed with pneumonia and then when I developed a high fever last night they were afraid it was h1n1 so they isolated me and we've been waiting to see what's up with that. So here is my recount of my time in the NHS...

I had been feeling awful on Sunday morning, but I attributed that to a hangover after a great night of Poker the night before. I was sick and tired and generally felt pretty awful the rest of the day. I took Monday off work and still felt awful all day. I slept a lot, threw up, had a fever and felt jabbing pain in my side/back. I thought I'd give it til the morning to see if I got better. I'm so worried that I might be a hypochondriac but actually I think my immune system just really sucks. Well the next morning came and no improvement so I asked Bardy to walk me (basically carry me) to the hospital because I felt so awful. Lucky for us, Lewisham hospital is like 5 minutes from our house.

I was super out of breath when we got to the hospital and Bardy helped me register. He then had to jet out of there super quick because he had to catch a plane off to Australia. So I spent the rest of the time alone and terrified in the ER. I waited about an hour and a half to see the Triage nurse, all while getting more and more of a fever (and having two very very kind old ladies take pity on me when they saw me tearing up and said a prayer for me - super nice of them and actually DID calm me down even though I'm not religious, one of them reminded me of my Granny). Finally the rather crabby triage nurse saw me, gave me some Paracetamol (tylenol), took blood pressure/urine sample/blood sugar level and then sent me back to the waiting room. About 15 minutes later, a doctor came to see me and put me on a gurney in a little curtained area. She examined me and ordered a chest xray and an IV to get some fluid in me. The chest x-ray showed some grey areas which indicated a chest infection and she ordered me some antibiotics. I also got a schnazzy robe, lol.

Then it was time for the IV. Now I know most of you know that I am terrified of needles. Not that they hurt, but the sensation of it penetrating my skin is horrible. So the prospect of an IV - slightly scary. An IV in an ER room in a foreign country all by myself? VERY scary. She tried once in my wrist but then I heard "well, you're not going to like me very much but...". Apparently she that vein was blocked so she had to go again in arm under my elbow. Well, she did it, took two blood samples to culture and then gave me some antibiotics. I survived. Teared a bit later when I was alone again.

Then they moved me up to the Chestnut ward. It was almost 6! I arrived at 12:30! Yeesh! Monica met me in the ward and stayed with me for a bit but then went down to the clinic to get her throat checked out (turns out she needs antibiotics too). They put me in a room with three other old ladies, one nice one named Iris who introduced herself to us, one that didn't speak english (russian?) and another random one. I was so sick to really care. My fever had gone down but still feeling gross and found it hard to breathe.

Met the night nurse - very nice lady, but still felt awful. Then around 10, I developed a high fever around 103. That worried them because it came on suddenly even though i had told them it was fluctuating for awhile. Due to protocol, they had to test to see if it was H1N1 (WHICH WOULD MEAN that damn vaccine I took in Dec that made my arm hurt for a week did NOTHING) or just a regular flu. But they said they would have to get a blood test done and then move me to an isolated room. Well I was exhausted and feverish and really wanted some Paracetamol but they couldn't give me any until the blood test came. That happened oh... 2 hours later. Another two hours and I was finally in my isolated room. Now anyone that comes in has to wear a mask, apron and gloves - doesn't that make me feel comforted.


Rest of the night continued to be awful. They started me on tamiflu and either because of that or a combination of that and the fact that I had no sleep, I was sick to my stomach. But there is nothing in my stomach! So some dry heaves, then rest, then dry heaves, then around 4;30 I finally passed out for good. Slept about three hours until around 7 when they started waking people up for breakfast. Didn't eat my toast and continued to doze (you can't get a good sleep here - so many things beep!!! but at least I'm in my own room now). Woke up, took meds, then a team of doctors came around Grey's Anatomy styles and checked up on me. I haven't seen the same doctor twice, I have NO idea who my doctor is and my parents want me to find out more information but its hard because every doctor / nurse is always SO BUSY. (and a little slow. it takes roughly 15 mins to answer my nurse bell.... what if I was dying? I'm not hooked up to a machine. yeesh). Dear Emma and Ken, please when you become Doctors make sure your patients know that YOU are their main doctor and explain EVERYTHING to them. I'm still not sure what exactly is going on.

Felt a bit better the rest of the day, no fever, and my physio said my breathing sounded better. But I needed to practice shaking up the phlegm from my chest. Taught me some techniques and then left. Mostly I was all by myself. It's really lonely being in isolation. Around 3:30 Monica came to visit and bring me some supplies and then around 5 Sam visited with some magazines and crisps. Johnny and Allen texted to see how I was doing during the day. Now for some lists:

Test wise I have had: blood, urine, blood sugar, throat swab, nose swab, peak test, cough-into-this-cup test, and countless blood pressure/heart rate/tempreature tests.

Medicine wise: Paracetamol, gravol style pill, low dose of codine?, something that goes in an oxygen mask that I have to breathe in, antibiotics (oral and intravenous), and tamiflu.

Now here I am... ready for night number two. Let's hope NO MORE FEVER and SLEEP are in store for me. I'm sick of being nervous and scared. Thank you for those back home wishing me love, I need all that I can get.

2 comments:

  1. awww you've really been through the ringer! sounds like they're leaving no stone unturned though, i'd say that they're doing a lot more than we usually do for pneumonia!

    i hope your immune system remembers its job very soon and that you get to go home :)

    FEEL BETTER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'cough-into-this-cup test' hahaha sounds about right...glad you are getting better, take some walks around the ward!

    p.s. fred misses you

    ReplyDelete